Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Movie Excerpt: "You don't know what I know"

In the movie Limitless (2011), Robert Di Niro has a powerful little monologue about work. 
Well, it is about a certain type of work ethic - one that involves grinding the way to the top with some brutal behavior.  The scene was so well done... check it out. 



The text from this scene is highlighted in blue below. 

Here is a bit of the scene leading up to the monologue:

EDDIE (Bradley Cooper)

....I’d say 45.


VAN LOOK (Robert De Niro)

 Done.

Forty-five thousand dollars.

(Both laugh)




VAN LOON
Forty million's plenty, Eddie.
There's a lot more where that came from.

You know, Eddie...
...it may be on your mind
that you're not gonna
continue to work for me anymore.

EDDIE
This has been
the learning experience of my life.




VAN LOON
I hope it has. I hope you don't
think you've gotten enough from me.
On to the next.

EDDIE
Well, in order for a career to evolve,
I'm gonna have to move on.



VAN LOOK
That you would even think that
would only show me
how unprepared you are
to be on your own.

- I mean, you do know you're a freak.
- (laughs)
Your deductive powers are a gift
from God, or chance,
or a stray shot of sperm,
or whatever, or whoever the hell wrote
your life script, a gift not earned.

You do not know what I know 

because

you have not earned those powers.

You're careless with those powers.

You flaunt them and you throw them
around like a brat with his trust fund.

You haven't had to climb up
all the greasy little rungs.

You haven't been bored blind at the
fundraisers. 

You haven't done the time
in that first marriage
to the girl with the right father.

You think you can leap
over all in a single bound.

You haven't had to bribe
or charm or threaten your way
to a seat at that table. 

You don't
know how to assess your competition
because you haven't competed.

Don't make me your competition.


VAN LOON (CONT'D)

Now...
I'll open a line of credit for you.

You’ll be wanting a few toys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: LIMITLESS (2011) Written by Leslie Dixon

Based on the novel by Alan Glynn
With the help of a mysterious pill that enables the user to access 100 percent of his brain abilities, a struggling writer becomes a financial wizard, but it also puts him in a new world with lots of dangers.”