In the movie Limitless (2011), Robert Di Niro has a powerful little monologue about work.
Well, it is about a certain type of work ethic - one that involves grinding the way to the top with some brutal behavior. The scene was so well done... check it out.
Well, it is about a certain type of work ethic - one that involves grinding the way to the top with some brutal behavior. The scene was so well done... check it out.
The text from this scene is highlighted in blue below.
Here is a bit of the scene leading up to the monologue:
EDDIE (Bradley Cooper)
....I’d say
45.
VAN LOOK (Robert
De Niro)
Done.
Forty-five thousand
dollars.
VAN LOON
Forty million's plenty,
Eddie.
There's a
lot more where that came from.
You know,
Eddie...
...it may be
on your mind
that you're
not gonna
continue to
work for me anymore.
EDDIE
This has
been
VAN LOON
I hope it
has. I hope you don't
think you've
gotten enough from me.
On to the
next.
EDDIE
Well, in
order for a career to evolve,
I'm gonna
have to move on.
VAN LOOK
That you
would even think that
would only
show me
how
unprepared you are
to be on
your own.
- I mean,
you do know you're a freak.
- (laughs)
Your
deductive powers are a gift
from God, or
chance,
or a stray
shot of sperm,
or whatever,
or whoever the hell wrote
your life
script, a gift not earned.
You do not know what I know
because
you have not earned those powers.
You're
careless with those powers.
You flaunt
them and you throw them
around like
a brat with his trust fund.
You haven't had to climb up
all the greasy
little rungs.
You haven't been bored blind at the
fundraisers.
You haven't done the time
You haven't done the time
in that
first marriage
to the girl
with the right father.
You think you can leap
over all in
a single bound.
You haven't had to bribe
or charm or
threaten your way
to a seat at
that table.
You don't
You don't
know how to
assess your competition
because you
haven't competed.
Don't make me your competition.
Now...
I'll open a line of credit
for you.
You’ll be wanting a few
toys.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: LIMITLESS (2011) Written by Leslie Dixon
Based on the novel by Alan
Glynn
“With
the help of a mysterious pill that enables the user to access 100 percent of
his brain abilities, a struggling writer becomes a financial wizard, but it
also puts him in a new world with lots of dangers.”


